Thursday, October 30, 2008

Beautifully Dry




With a few days of wetness weighing heavy upon me, I was begining to despair.  Its not so bad when you're riding-- but when you stop or camp for the night, then-- well, it is not so pleasant.

The other day, when looking for a place to camp, I took a few side roads and happened upon a gardener harvesting his vegetables.  I asked him if it would be alright to set up a tent in the field down the road.  He insisted I use a beautiful patch of grass beside his field with a sweeping view of the farms all around.

In the morning, he invited me in for coffee.  The sun came out, I put my gear out to dry, and we talked and talked over breakfast. An avid gardner and farmer who has lived in the area for all his life, he was fascinating to talk to.  We talked of the old ways of harvesting and all the wonderful things you can do with the things that grow in France.  I learned much about French cuisine and generosity!   My gear was drying so nicely in the sun, that he invited me to stay for lunch.

After fish, salad, cheese, wine and coffee I departed full, coffe-ed, and Praise to the Universe--dry!   Drying out proved a fantastic excuse for the two of us to get to know each other and share a bit of culture.  Again, its so uncanny how the bad things turn out to be blessings in disguise. 

 I took his portrait and will be adding it to the 1Mandala with gladness.

I write from the steps of a Church as I head off down the highway.  I head towards Brussels.

The sun is out and the wind is at my back.


No comments: