Saturday, December 20, 2008

Me, the Amazing Traveler in Rotterdam

Rotterdam?  What the heck am I doing in Rotterdam?

Yesterday, after departing from Oosterhout, navigating onwards from Breda, successfully collecting my new passport in the Hague, launching new website updates, and then catching the tram towards my ferry, I sat back and thought smugly to myself:  "Russell, you're The Man.  You are good!   What an amazing traveler you are!  This is just too easy."

I remember thinking and feeling something similar in my second week living in Costa Rica.   The next day I was abruptly fired from my job and set on the streets not knowing the language or having any place to go.

My tram pulled up at the connecting bus station.  I waited for half an hour before thinking of checking the schedule of the bus that would take me to the night ferry that would cross to England.   I checked.  The bus line had just stopped running for the evening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I then experienced a feeling I haven't felt in a while:  Cataclysmic Panic.   

The only other way to get to the ferry was to head all back the way I had come,and catch two connecting trains.   I had given myself lots of time.  There was still hope.  My heart was beating fast, I couldn't believe it was happening.   

Now, Panic is not the best state to be traveling in.   You tend to attract disaster.  Aye... Not one, but two trains broke down on me.  I missed my first connection.  Then, the second broke down in Rotterdam and everyone had to get out.  I couldn't believe it.  Things had been going so good!   
Rotterdam was windy, cold and rainy.  I had to find shelter under an awning to crack open my laptop and do some emergency calls and searches.   The sleet picked up.   It was 12:30 AM now.   If you think I was stressed-- imagine Louisa who had helped arranged my travel and who was expecting me in the next day!

Long story short.  I found a hostel.   They even gave me a discount and a beer on the house.  I slept very, very well.

So what is the lesson here folks?   

Well, next time I start to think I am an amazing traveler, I will immediately slap myself in the face.  I will then put myself on Amber alert.   The feeling seems to be the precusor for disaster.  Its is as if the universe feels obligated to teach me some humility.

Of course, my Costa Rican "disaster" was also the precusor of an amazing three years in the country.  It thrust me fast and furious into interactions that formed the foundation of my time there and the most amazing and life changing experiences.   

Hey... is that a For Rent sign on the apartment across the street?

;-)


No comments: