Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Land of the Wind


Passing wind mills on a windy day.


Has it been really less than a week since I left Amsterdam?   So much has happened!   Alas the first few days after getting back on the road were not so good.  

Ok, let's be honest... they sucked!

It rained and it blew.  In fact, I haven't seen so many wind turbines in my life.  They all were aligned in the direction I was heading!     My Northern trajectory took me straight into the 50-60 km/h wind.   I had to my set up my tent in wet forests with the sleet coming down.   Technically it sucked.  Yet, existentially I was still on a high from my amazing time in Amsterdam.   I was litterally singing in the rain.   I was still processing the great experiences, and preparing the YouTube movie in the last post.


Just when the technical situation was brightening, things went instantaneously to really sucky. It is actually amazing how fast things can change.   I had found a great forest campsite, the sun had come out, and I was cooking up a great meal that would last me several days.  The smell of bacon was just started to pique my hunger.

Alas, I was experimenting with a new fuel.   Uh... turpentine.  What the heck was I thinking?!   

The fumes got into my pot, and contaminated my food.  My pots were blackened beyond cleaning.  I was starving so I had to break my great campsite into town for an expensive Chinese food restaurant that blew my budget completely.  Then, the next morning I realized that in my disapointment, I had left my high end titanium stove back in the forest.   I even went back.  I couldn't find it-- undoubtedly something to do with its blackened state!

All I could find was my Welsh love spoon.  A special culinary gift from a special someone that I had forgotten at the campsite.

So my load is much lighter now.  No stove.  No gas. No pots!   

But I have the love spoon.   

Love.  What more do you need?





No comments: