Friday, April 10, 2009

A German Morning

A very German breakfast with Martina


I write this sitting outside my tent in a wide open field in the middle of the german country side.  

I am about 80 kms from Berlin and pretty much there. The full moon shines above. A lightning storm flickers off in the distance. Every few seconds a burst of light illuminates the clouds in the distance. The stars are coming out one at a time. A light breeze blows. I can hear the rustle of the new leaves in a nearby tree.  

The day began having a coffee with a nice lady who spoke only German.  

We talked about the war and how her family had to flee occupied Poland back to Germany. Super interesting. I told her the story of how my forefathers immigrated from Germany to America. The conversation was all in German. I am overjoyed at being able to understand and to share. What a contrast to my first day in Leer last month when I couldn't even order a coffee. I've been working crazy hard to learn and my efforts are now gloriously paying off.  

Its so rewarding to be able to talk to people in their own language. 

I then hit the road and enjoyed the most beautiful spring day ever cycling leisurely through the countryside taking the backroads and avoiding the big ones.  

I stopped in another small town, found a wifi signal discovered that 40 new people from Romania have signed up to the 1mandala project.  Three new peace portraits of dazzling smiles also greeted me. Beautiful.

I pulled off as the sun was setting and made camp here in this beautiful field. This will be my last night in this tent I do beleive. A new one awaits me in Pottsdam that my parent's picked up for me especially in Canada.  
Ahhh!!! I am so blessed!



No comments: