Sunday, April 4, 2010

Lost No More

A week or so ago, I found myself wandering the streets of Paris without any idea where I was.

But, I was not lost.

My grandfather would not have agreed with my manner of making my way to my destination. I have many memories of planning road trips with him. Before setting out anywhere, various maps and atlases would be consulted. The merits of this route vs that route would be discussed. The weather and traffic would be considered.

I just have never been able to do it this way. Perhaps I am fundamentally flawed. Perhaps I am on to something existentially profound about living deeply in my moment.

Regardless, using my iPhone walking through mysterious streets, I can geo-locate myself live on a google city map and orientate towards my destination. It's pretty amazing really. I like to think of it as "live planning".

Of course, my grandfather would point ou that I ended up being 15 minutes late for my meeting. That but was mainly due to all the amazing galleries and stores I stumbled upon on my way!

Even with the best panning technniques I still remember arriving with my grandparents with only 5 minutes to spare for a flight-- somehow we thought it was to be in 2hrs time.

But we made it. And I messaged my friend to let him know I was 15 minutes behind (so was he) for our Paris rendezvous vous. Everything was alright.

In fact everything is and shall be alright.

And here I am writing this story about a Paris from a mansion in Manilla. Somehow, there are somethings you just can't plan.



No comments: