Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Baguette Forest

I was going through my notes yesterday when I came across this journal entry.  It was never posted on my blog.  the experience happened a month ago while cycling through France when I was out of Euros and couldn't find a place to exchange my pounds-  not that I had much to exchange!   I never posted it because its seemed almost preposterously surreal.   Hearing the Lord's prayer today-- "Give us today our daily bread--   has inspired me to share it.
-----


This morning, I awoke in a field far from any towns.  It was a crisp clear day as I poked my head out of the tent.  However, that past night, I had finished off my remaining food supplies.    I snacked upon my final apple, drank some water and set off a little hungry. 

Eating is important when you're cycling each day.  I wondered to myself: "What am I going to do for breakfast?"

My road took me into and through a lush oak forest.  The sun was rising and the golden rays were beginning to come through the yellowing canopy of leaves.  A dirt side road caught my eye.  I decided to turn off.   It looked like the perfect place for my morning yoga.  I cycled in a leisurely 50 metres or so.

It was then that I noticed the baguette. 

 It was on the side of the little road, untouched, not even dirty.  I cracked it open. It was all but fresh.  Then I noticed another. And another, and another!  Literally dozens of baguettes were scattered down the forest road for the next hundred meters.  They were at most a day old, completely clean and untouched.  It had rained that morning, and these had not been touched by it.

I was in awe.  More, fresh baguettes than I could ever need!  I felt like a character from the Old Testament blessed by mana falling from the sky.  

I knelt down and praised the universe.

As I got up, I discovered the chestnut.  I had been shown in England and in France how to eat them.  There were fresh, ready to eat chestnuts, everywhere.

What a breakfast.

____________
Addendum:   The baguettes that I collected that morning, paired with a bottle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, lasted for three to four days.   The bag of chestnuts that I collected lasted two weeks.  As I leave the comfort of the Abbey, this is a good experience to remember!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your present is a wonderful experience, thank you for permitting to live through it across your words. Vero