Saturday, December 6, 2008

A Laugh and a Goodbye




Last night, I decided to chill out in the lobby of the hostel, here in Antwerp, where I am staying.  I fell into a conversation with a lad from Ireland.   After a lengthy discussion on the merits of various sci-fi films I decided that instead of going for a beer at the pub I would retire for the evening.

"You know the Belgians at the pub are always open to talking to people.   You should really get out and meet some locals before you leave Belgium"

His impression immediately struck me:  He thought that I had been holing up in the Hostel during my time in Belgium and hadn't been meeting people!

I laughed a little too loudly back at a the poor chap.  

It him me then, just how blessed I have been in meeting locals.  Of course, many backpackers and tourists pass through and hardly meet any locals.  It happens all to easy.

However, I have met, talked to, stayed in the homes of, walk with, dined with, dozens and dozens of locals-- if not hundreds.  I've had tea with Belgians from 4 years old to 90 years old, from the Walon side to the Flemish side, from the city and from the farm, from mentally challenged to univeristy professors.   The reason I was decided to stay inside was to recover from my intense "anthropological adventure"-- as the Irish chap put it after hearing a few of my tales.

Very soon my journey will lead me on from Belgium into Holland.   

Wow... I could never in a million years have expected all this stuff to happen to me.   In Belgium of all places.   Looking back, I am blown away by the kindness and generosity of the Belgians.  You wouldn't expect it on first glance.  The Belgians seem very preoccupied with their country's crazily divisive cultural and political situation.  They are also immersed in living the the Good Life.   But give them a chance to be generous, and wow!  Look out.

On my way in to Antwerp, I asked directions from a lady.   Her and her husband were biking in the same direction so they bid me to follow.  Then they invited me into their house.  Then they invited me to stay the night.  Then to a wonderful dinner and conversation!    Leaving refreshed and happy, I met another cyclist, only three minutes down the road.  He invited me to follow him to the centre of Antwerp.  Then he bought me an Antwerpian beer!

I have nothing but good things to say about Belgium as I depart this wonderful country.

Man... I wonder if the Belgians will even let me leave!



No comments: