Friday, December 19, 2008

Until the Next Moment




La vie est belle.  

This morning, as dawn broke, I cruised down the smooth cycle paths of Osterhout, Holland. Viva la Vida, played in all its splendor on my iPod. The moon hung like a silver shard in the turquoise sky. Its half darkness a reminder that our moments are inexorably immersed in luminous cycles. Of light, of darkness, of loneliness, of love.  

I am a cyclist.  

A lad from London pointed this out to me on the train the other day-- the philosophical connotation that is. In that sense, we're all cyclists. Its one moment to the next, with our life patterns undalating waves that cycle us from people and places and situations. With each new moment we spiral a tad higher. Perhaps we revisit a similar place on our pattern, but its always from another vantage. Through honesty with ourselves and others, slowly but surely, we remember who we are.  

Of course, every once in a while, the gentle spiral slips into a cascading revelational rollercoaster. Then things get interesting. And intense. And fun. And very special.  

What an crazy and amazing time I have had here in Holland. 

I stopped my bike on an Oosterhout bridge. Underneath, the cars zoomed by in each direction. In the highway-side canals, the now lilac morning sky reflected in the still water. I breathed deeply. A flock of birds crossed the horizon.  

Onwards they flew.  

Onwards I go. 

See you soon Louisa!




No comments: