Friday, May 1, 2009

"How are you Making the World a Better Place?"




Walking down the streets of Berlin today a woman intercepted my path:  "You've got something in ear that's blocking you from reality!"   I smiled and stopped and took out my headphones.   She bekoned me over to her table adorned with pamphlets with strange pictures of the world and reorganized world order.

She launched immediately into her spiel.   I listened as best I could.   She spoke of the need for a new world order, mag rail lines connecting all the world and new global currency.  People are living in their routines and are not making the changes and the actions the world needs to be better.  She wanted me to buy a DVD or make a donation.

"What are you doing to make the world a better place?" was her question to me.

I laughed:   "Do you really want to know?"

Alas her question was more rhetorical than anything else.  I sensed a myriad of non-rational motivations in her cling to the ideas of her organization and her frantic attempts to undermine everything I had to say.   

"Why are you cycling around the world?  World Unity?  Peace Portraits?   Oneness... what is the heck is that?"

It was a terse exchange despite my best efforts.   It reminded me of some sort of Christian conversion booth.   But, what a gift to be challenged on my first principles.   Its a while since I have been so challenged and relentlessly questioned on my personal philosophy

So what am I doing to make the world a better place?   What a great challenge to put this into words!  Let me try again...

First, I don't think you can make the world any better place than you have made yourself.   Second, I believe that the world is made better by your moment to moment interactions and relationships with people.   Third, I believe that the concept of Oneness is fundamental to transcending the injustice, oppression and ecological imbalance that challenge our world.  

My life and work thus take a day to day, moment to moment approach.  First, I strive to furthering my health and happiness.  Second I strive for clear and loving relationships with others.  And finally, my work and art are an ongoing reflection on my oneness with the world.

How's that?

Would you like a pamphlet? 

Perhaps you would like to purchase my DVD?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

0318What's a wonderful question!
My aswers here:

I smile to every be alive
I listen everybody
I learn of my environment always
I am ecological
I try to love all and to each one.

This lady has a great task: to do ourselves concientes of our great work to do a better world.
Good job, woman!


Qué maravillosa pregunta!
Acá están mis respuestas:
Sonrío a todo ser vivo
Escucho a todos
Aprendo de todo lo que me rodea
Soy ecológica
Intento amar a todos y a cada uno

Esa señora tiene una gran tarea: hacernos concientes de nuestro gran trabajo para hacer un mundo mejor.