Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Money




I have been doing an interview for a Romanian spiritual magazine and Humanity's Team Global.    The journalist's response to one of my written answers was quite dramatic.  It encouraged me to revisit my answer and refine it a little more.   Here it is:

HT: How’s the project financially supported?

I often am asked how I fund the my journey and the 1Mandala project.  The question is  challenging to answer.   It often comes from a certain way of seeing the world and money: First you get money, then you do what you want.  This is fundamentally  different from how I see it.  

In fact it is the opposite! 

My understanding is that first do what you want to do.  Then, money connections, things and relationships arrive that help you create your vision and fulfill your intention.  

I have no savings or source of income.   Ironically, given my lifestyle equipment and project, many people who meet me often think that I am independently wealthy!  

I laugh with a big smile at this.  

If I can share anything with the people that I meet, it is that money is the last thing that you need.  Literally.  Do first want you want, then the money comes and the way becomes clear.   That's it.  No need to strive, suffer and toil for money.  That's just a sign your going about it backwards!

Of course, it is easy to simply speak such words.   However, I feel I can write them because I've been living their truth.  I have had no money or source of income or any job since September.   Nothing!  For three months I had less than 100 euros.  Yet, biking for several months through the European Winter my "needs"  were abundantly met through the expensive countries of Belgium, Holland and Germany.  

Now in the green and warm May of Berlin, I occasionally stop and marvel that I am still alive and that I did not freeze in a Dutch ditch!

Despite absolutely zero financial security, somehow I have never been happier, healthier, better equipped, more loving and more loved than ever.   I've also never eaten better, been able to give more and have never had more fun!   

Not to mention the 1Mandala project is flourishing in 8 languages with a team of people working around the world and I am living my dream making art at  a studio in the most thriving artistic district of Berlin, if not Germany, if not the world.

Money? 

 All I can do is shake my head!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really inspiring for me at this moment, Russ! Thanks for sharing this!
LoVE!

Romi Llomovatte Miranda para romilove photography said...

Russell! You are right! All that you said about your experience is amazing and inspire me to believe in your words, first you need to do then the money comes to you!!! Excellent!!!

mali1 said...

Russell, youre so right about the money. and you walk it like you talk it bro! met u on the c+o canal last year and you gave me money so i could finish my trip, plus your stove. youre best gift though was our conversation-your positive vibe is so contagious. caught up on your blog recently and youve inspired me to make a pilgramage of my own. Ill be doing the eurovelo-via francigena this fall-next spring.THANK YOU SO MUCH BROTHER!!! John - Annapolis,MD

Paul said...

Have a nice day, ich habe Ihre Nachricht in der Nacht und wir endlich die wieder mit einem Kommentar.