Monday, August 3, 2009

I am in Italy




I am defnitively in Italy.

I sit in the Piazza, the central square, of Udine. Arched buildings, columns and marble statues surround me. My latte Machiado rests beside me. Last night I slept on the edge of a hilltop vineyard. As the sun set I could see the foothills of the Alps in the distance, the roof tops of a nearby village and the spire of the church. A green carpet of vineyards stretched out below my hill top perch.

After setting up my tent I managed to find the local restaurant and dined on some authentic spaghetti. Italian families chit-chatted away all around me as I sipped my glass of wine from the local fields.

I awoke in the morning to the Church bells and a breakfast of grapes.

After packing up my equipment I attended Sunday mass at the Church down the road. I was the only one in under 40 I think! Nonetheless the Church was packed to standing room only as the priest offered up Holy Eucharist for his community. As I left the Church the little man smile and warmly shook my hand and two nice ladies joined me for coffee.

And now I get on my bike and head back on down the road.

No comments: