Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Sky So Blue



The last two days, I have been cruising through the coastal dunes between The Hague and Haarlem.  Its been a dazzlingly ride.  I can't get over how blue the sky is-- climatically and existentially.   The cycle paths are amazing.  However, its winter, so I am one of the few cyclists out there.   

It is beautiful.

Not only in terms of landscape, but of the people I am meeting and the blessings that befall me.   I have actually really been looking forward to making my camp in this beautiful location.  Yet, every night, something happens and I ended in a nice hotel, a hostel, and in general a warm bed.   It is indeed pretty cold outside.  That is frost you see on the bushes in the photo above.  The universe is looking out for me!

The other day, cycling out of the Hague into the night to set up my camp, I heard my name called from way off in the distance.  Had it been my imagination?   I stopped, didn't see anyone, but decided to fix my bike's lights anyhow.   It turns out that my friend Bilal and his two friends had indeed called my name!   They insisted on treating me to a night at wonderfully warm hotel in the center of the Hague.  Wow.  What a blessing that was.   

The next night, again, just as I was leaving a cafe to head out into the night, the owner told me about a hostel down the road. If I mentioned his name, they would give me a deal I couldn't refuse.   And they did!

Today I met with Denis, country coordinator for Humanity's Team here in Holland.  We shared a fabulous connection over a homecooked meal.   I depart inspired with a slew of new ideas and intentions for the 1Mandala project-- not mention the best sleep ever in his peace-full house.


Again, I have no idea what is going to happen tonight.   I head towards Amsterdam now and the intimidatingly non-rural landscape of the mythical city of openess.  

Onwards!




Hey... if you haven't joined the project yet, or sent in your peace portrait.  Here's the link:  www.1mandala.org

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo !