Friday, January 30, 2009

The Dreamer Awakes



This is a painting of Abby.

It was a gift for the wonderful time I had with her at home in Oosterhout, Netherlands.

Its been about a week since I left. Our moment together was about as long. Yet, my goodness, it felt like much longer. Each day was either so full of feeling, challenge, or crazy cool cultural experiences that it felt like a week. We spent alot of time together in spontaneous little adventures and if there was a theme to our moments, it was honesty and openness. I learned more about myself in that week than I have in many months of my life. I am most grateful for this.

We spoke much about our feelings about relationships and I had the pleasure of meeting the actual characters in her life. Each morning, we would share our dreams of the night, in which these characters often featured. As I painted this picture-- again without any preconceived plan-- the idea of dreaming seeped in. The circle of characters in her life also seeped in. It struck me that they swirled about her as if in a dream. Most of what they knew of Abby was a dream, an illusion, that even she seemed to be awakening to.

Its a theme I can myself attest to: Finally awakening to yourself, being true to yourself, following your heart, and then as surely as the night follows the day, being true to others.

I think this is one of the reasons I resonated so well with Abby. My journey has also been a process of awakening to myself. As I awaken, I more deeply embrace who I am and the road that my heart points me-- not just geographically but in relationships and in love.

In the painting her eyes are wide open-- unlike the other characters. The dreamer awakes. Like a butterfly breaking out of its crystalis, she tests her new wings as they sparkle in the most resplendently fresh colour. She is poised for flight.

It is beautiful to see someone awaken.

It is beautiful to awaken.

Bedankt Abby.


No comments: