Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Chess at the Hostel: Merci Pere Fournier!




It is sure interesting how the past shapes the future.   

Growing up in my teens in Ottawa, I joined a French Canadian Catholic cyclist group.  Each summer I would spend two weeks on a 1000 km journey somewhere in Ontario or Quebec with 30 or so other teens.

I was neither French Canadian nor Catholic!   In fact, the first year, I was the first Anglophone ever to be part of the group.  I loved it.  So much so, that I persuaded my parents six years in a row to let me return.  

I can trace much of my love of cylcing, my love of languages, and my love for chess to Le Camp de Amitier.    Yep, chess.  You see, the group was led by Pere Fournier, a Catholic priest in his 60s.  Pere Fournier saw too it that everyone not only kept in line, but had a good time.   In the evenings, after a long day's ride, he would take out the chess boards.

Not only did my French flourish to heights my other anglophone friends could only dream of, so did my Chess.   Of course, I didn't realize it at the time.   

I never won!    

Pere Fournier was merciless.  

You would think that over six years, you would let the poor kid win at least once.  Nope.  Game after game, year after year, I was thoroughly trounced.   I would look forward each summer, not only to the cycling, the amazing friendships that formed, the cute girls, but also the epic chess rematch!   

I would labour for eons over moves, determined to finally win.   But in vain!   Yet from all those mistakes, losses, and defeats, came some pretty darn solid chess experience and skills.   Little did I realize but Pere Fournier was teaching me.

At the hostel here In Amsterdam, there were a lot of chess boards around.  

There were also chess players from all over the world.   Most were pretty darn good.  The guys had openings, end games, were forking, pining, and skewering, and knew obscur rules that I didn't.   Yet, in my week at the Hostel, I was undefeated.   I won something six or seven or eight games in a row.   It was alot of fun, and frankly, I was rather surprised!

Merci Pere Fournier.    Somewhere, up there with St. Peter, I suspect you're smiling as I cycle, speak French, and play Chess all at the same time!






No comments: