Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wouterful Webdesigning



Arriving into Groningen, I had been on the road for a while.  Much 1Mandala website work had been pilling up.  As I cycled nearer Groningen I put out the intention of getting a whole lot of work done on the web site.  I guessed that my friend Wout would probably have a good WIFI connection that I could work with.

Now, I knew that Wout was a designer, but I didn't remember exactly what kind.

He's a web designer!  Not any web designer, but a top notch, ultra professional and experienced designer working for a Dutch company that's striving to be the best in Europe.

I was showing Wout the 1Mandala page Sunday when he stopped me and asked about the code. Suddenly, his gaze at the screen intensified.   He fell silent as he scrolled impossibly fast through the back-end HTML.     "Do you mind if I clean this up a bit?  I really can't stand to see code like this."  It wasn't so much a question as statement of what would happen next!  Before I knew it he was in ravenous code mode! 
Wout is a human interface and useability expert.  He one of those guys who loves what he does and his passion for his work carries into his Suday afternoons.    He jumped right into the code. In fact, the rest of Sunday he's spent revising the code of the main 1Mandala template from scratch!    

I don't know quite what to say, but the page has been dramatically revised from the bottom up!   
The visible changes are subtle.   The page is simply simpler.   Its easier to use, loads faster, and will integrate better into sponsors.  The page much easier to make sense of for first time visitors.

 The anology that comes to mind is the honing of a diamond.  After the first cuts of the jewler its looking pretty good.  However, let the jewler finish his refinements and fine cutting and it dazzles at a whole other level.  

Bedankt Wout!

You can see the new page here:  www.1mandala.org

No comments: