Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Moon Over Amsterdam




The Moon and Venus hung in the sky like two lovers alone in a sea of blue.  

Beneath the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam surrounded me.   As I crossed one of the bridges over one of the many canals, I couldn't help but pull out my camera.  The camera has taken a fair amount of abuse over the last 3000 kms.   For a moment it wouldn't start, and a memory hit me

You see it is a camera with a story.   

Passing through a remote part of Vancouver Island, BC, I met Ian.  I told Ian about my mandala project and I also expressed my frustration at the recent demise of my old camera.  It had been decidedly vanquished by my the tribulations of my journey!  There I was traveling through all these beautiful places, and I couldn't take photos.  Nor could I take photos of people's smiles!

Ian handed me the cash to buy this camera.

I am still in awe of Ian's impetuous jaw dropping generosity and kindness.  Perhaps he glimpsed something about our connection that I didn't at the time.  Ian and I have kept in contact since.   He has featured in one of my paintings.  We've shared an ongoing, lengthy and personal correspondence since.  Our dialogue has been uncannily therapeutic, helpful and inspiring.  

Thank you Ian!  

The camera opened up, and I was able to shoot the shot above.   It has served me immensely well, and continues to.  Hurray!



No comments: