Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Lugen Museum Summary



OK.   Its time for a summary. 

 Here I find myself at an old castle in the German countryside.  My bicycle and art has taken me here, all the way from Smithers BC.  Its a beautiful Spring day and I have moment for reflection.  

 I am about to arrive in Berlin-- a city that I have dreamed of visiting for several years now.   As an artist, it is one of the foremost places in the world to work in the world these days.   The word on the gobal village street is that it is the New York of the 1970's for artist.

I was born and grew up in Northern BC and the Yukon.  Leaving my town of where I grew up and have lived for the last four years, was a decision seeped in intention.   My dream of being an international artist was rather challenging in the isolated North where there is little municipal or provincial or social support for proffessional artists.  Not to mention that Vancouver is 17 hours away and the nearest other city 5 hours!  

 I happen to love bicyling, traveling, languages and self sufficient camping.   And of course, making art.   As I set off on my journey to Europe I realized that more and more each moment I was spending doing exactly what I loved.   Who great is that?  Now as I "travel" (it feels more like 'living') my path reveals itself to me one blessing and step at a time.

A friend of a friend of a friend connected me with Reinhart.   

Reinhart is an East German artist who took over this old farm Baron's castle in the countryside near Berlin.   He has filled it with the craziest artistic creations and has named it 'The Museum of Lies' (Die Lugen Museum).   I've been chilling out here while I catch up on a whole bunch of exciting 1Mandala project developments.

While I have been here I am met Maximillian, a friend of Reinhart's.  We spent long mornings over cup after cup of either too weak or too strong coffee, talking philosophy and language.   On the second morning, he picked up the phone and made a call.  I didn't understand what he was saying until he hung up and explained that I had an appointment the next day with Alex, a german reporter!   



No comments: