Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spring!




I can't beleive it.   Spring is here!   For those of you back in North America, I fully understand how you could be skeptical.  Its only mid-March.  Growing up in the Yukon and living in Smithers, March basically meant you had made it to the middle of winter!

The last few days have been so rainy and wet and gray that I didn't notice it sneaking up.  The other week, when cycling with Louisa, I noticed some white flowers on the side of the road (snow drops they call them) then yesterday, some small buds on the trees.

Today is the first sunny day in a while.  All of a sudden spring is exploding!   Whole lawns are carpeted with crockuses-- little purple and orange flowers!   The birds are signing like crazy, and I am noticing more and more bugs.   

Perhaps the most exciting of all, was looking out from my tent this morning at the tree line on the far side of the field.   Usually my gaze is greeted by grey and bare trees and branchs.  Dark clumps of tree and forest and bush.

Not today!

Today, there was a yellow glow on the distant trees!   Sure enough the tree's beside me   have little blossom tails hanging off them.  There are even the first pussy willows budding!

Wow!

The miracle of Spring has two meanings for me this year.  The first is of new life.  The second is that I am still alive!   In Holland, back in January, I was greeted by a Canadian-like scene-- frozen rivers, frosted fields and trees.   It was the coldest week in Holland in twelve years, and I was planning to get on my bike and cycle into it.   North at that!   

My heart compelled me on, my mind told me that I was insane!

I confronted my fear head on.  I jumped off the cliff into the wintery unknown.  And... blessing after blessing, here I am sipping a warm coffee on a sunny spring day after so many fabulous adventures, meetings, encounters and experiences that I just haven't been able to keep up here on my blog.  

Unbeleivably, looking back I slept in more beds and hotels than I camped.  With my goodwinter  sleeping bag I didn't have one cold night.   

Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!
____

Signs of spring:

Crockuses


A Stork (!) has returned from Africa to make its nest ready for its mate.  These magnificient birds make their home along the Elbe.

New baby sheep!



Pussy willows.


No comments: